Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chevrolet Colorado: I have a colrado when I pull the hood open

Customer Question

I have a colrado when I pull the hood open lever nothing happens. The cable also then does not snap back. Is there a way to open it from outside? The reason I need to get it open is the battery is dead and I am in the middle of the Adirondacs. Help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Are you more concerned about getting the hood open or getting the battery charged so you can make it out of the mountains and to a spot or home where you can work on getting the hood open. The hood release cable is probably broken. You could charge the battery by placing the positive battery charger lead on the starter cable connection on the starter then charge or possibly even jump start the vehicle from there. Is this perhaps a manual transmission that you could push start and if so, is it on flat ground or even pointed downhill?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an automatic transmission I can try to charge it that way but I will need to get it open at some point,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having truble reaching starter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could not access the starter. So I had to use a saws all cut an access hole and removed the hood latch. Not I am sure a solution you would give out. But with a little glue I should be fine. Thank you for your help. Jamie
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I am sure if you were home you could have jacked the vehicle up high enough to access the starter.