Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet Impala: 2007 Impala. Key stuck in ignition, shifter

Customer Question

2007 Impala. Key stuck in ignition, shifter will not move. Wires to shifter have been previously repaired. No current to shifter plug. "Traction Control Off" warning when key is in run position. No door locks, doom light, trunck release, or windows. New battery. Fuses appear to be good; tested with volt-ohm meter. What now? Starter?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Take a test light that's attached to ground, and with the key ON, just touch the tops of all fuses, on both sides of each fuse. The tiny metal tab on the top of the fuse allows you to see if there is actually power present at the fuse. I'd be curious if you have a group of fuses with no power, this is what I'd be checking next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jerry, I hope I get more for my money than this. If you will read my initial communication, I checked all the fuses, inside, and under the hood with a V/O meter. I have attached two fuse charts for under the hood. I checked the fuses per your request and marked them with "ACC" (that is as far as the key will turn off), and "ON". The ( - ) mark indicates no light, whereas the check mark indicates the lamp is lit. All the internal fuses light regardless of key position. Again, there is no power to the plug to the shifter wires. Where do they get their power from?Please, read this carefully and give me a direction to go other than something I have already done. Also, answer my questions concerning the starter and power feed to the shifter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops, forgot the attachments.
I want to give you more for your money than that. :-) I want to help you fix your car. I am not sure why you think it needs a starter. Does the engine start? The shift lock solenoid receives its power from the body control module (BCM). See attached diagram. BCM also controls lights, locks, and release systems. Use the second attached diagram to verify power and ground to the BCM, and if it's all there, it is condemnable. BCM's are notoriously junky on these cars. BCM replacement requires vehicle specific programming that only your dealer can perform, so you may end up at the dealer to have this repaired.