Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Chevrolet C-20: , I have an 82 6.2. After driving at freeway

Customer Question

Hello, I have an 82 6.2. After driving at freeway speed for 30 miles it loses power and white smoke comes for the pipes sometimes it will die when pulling over. It runs great in town. When I am on the hwy and pull over and shut it off, then restart its fine for 7 miles at 70 mph then loses power to about 50 mph again, what can it be
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it does lose power I can smell diesel. No one has got back to me yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
white smoke indicates burning coolant. it could be from a leak into the combustion chamber from a possible bad head gasket
does it run hot??? are you adding coolant??? are you sure it is white???
the other possibility is the injector pump failing. that is a common failure for the loss of power issue you have complained about.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The smoke is white. No loss of coolant. It runs fine in town with no smoke. But after running a whe on the freeway it loses power then when I pull over it shut off completely
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it sounds like you are burning coolant from somewhere. the first thing I would do is have a leak down test done to verify your head gaskets are good and not leaking internally. there is no other way for coolant to get into the combustion chamber.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was sucking coolant it would be low on coolant and running hot and would sound terrible? It sounds and runs great in town.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
it depends on how bad the actual leak is. thats why I suggest a leak down test to confirm
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks I look into it. if it was leaking coolant wouldn't it smoke all the time when I drive it in town for an hour it does not . I changed the sock filter in the gas tank and it seems to be running fine now.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
the sock has no effect on the issue with the smoke Roy