Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

On my 1998 suburban VIN: 3GNGK26F5WG143070, I am not getting

Customer Question

On my 1998 suburban VIN: 3GNGK26F5WG143070, I am not getting a reading on the engine temperature gauge on the instrument cluster. I already replace the coolant temperature sensor and nothing happened. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace the coolant temp sensor on top of the engine, or the one in the left side cylinder head by the exhaust manifold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only replaced the one on the left side cylinder head. Where exactly is the other one on the top of the engine?
The one on the cylinder head is the one you wanted to replace, that runs the gauge. OK, so the test for this circuit is pretty easy. If you disconnect the wire of the sensor in the cylinder head, and hold it to ground, the gauge should swing all the way to HOT. Does that happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gauge does NOT move at all when the wire of the sensor is hold to the ground.
OK, then this is going to be a problem with your gauge cluster or an open in that wire. The only thing missing here is that I want to make sure you performed this test with the key ON, that does make a difference and I failed to point it out.