Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Tahoe 4x2: I have a 2004 Tahoe. Went to start and

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Tahoe. Went to start and it was dead. Jumped it and it started but as soon as I took foot of accelerator it died. It starts now, but have to drive with two feet. As soon as I let rpms drop to idle it dies....
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youdoes the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?did it only do this after the jump?tell me all you canthanks
are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine lite is not on
ok,,does it run well besides the idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's worked fine til drove to the store. Came out and engine wouldn't turn. Jumped it, fired right up, but if foot off pedal, it stalls
but it does run well out on the road..right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now, I do know that my electrical panel is going bad. Certain electrical items going
?..please explain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the road it's fine if foot stays accelerating....two foot frivibg
ok,,what engine do you have,,the 04 didnt have the 5.7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.3? As for as electrical panel....ac on and all of a sudden starts blowing out hot on driver side. Then that went away. Heated seats don't work. Window rolled down and kept trying to roll down once done...meter on electrical indicator slammed to the right....could this be connected to engine?
yes it could,,these are throttle by wire..it doesnt have a throttle cable,,it is all done by the computer,,tell me,,does it start now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me check
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It slowly turned over three times, then went on....did ok idling now, but when I hit the gas, it went to 1500 rpm, as it should, dropped to 300, then idled up at 500. When it dropped to 300, lights dimmed and it started to stall but caught itself
okfrom the way you explain,,you have either a bad battery or a bad alternator
you need to load test the battery and then load test the charging system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both year old
i would think the battery has a dead cell or the alternator is not charging enough or is over charging
good,they may be under warranty
if you dont have a load tester,auto zone and most parts stores will do a load test for free.
load test the battery with the truck not running..and the alternator with it running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm. What about hving to keep foot on accelerator? Is that associated?
one of them is bad,,that is also why you had to have a jump start
yes..the tac[throttle actuator control] isnt getting the correct voltage
that is also why everything else is acting up
and why it was slow to start just now
it is possible for it to just be the battery cables,,so do make sure they are tight and clean at all 4 points..the battery + and - the starter+ and the engine-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm. Now I had my mechanictest my system a month ago and inform the electrical cluster is bad. Yes, I fully trust him, could that have something to do with this
yes,,,though these clusters were known to go bad ..your problem may just be the voltage
this isnt to say the cluster isnt bad,,but the wrong voltage could cause the cluster to act up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Guess I start at autozone....
yes,,make sure of the battery and the alternatorthanksIf you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.