Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS: , Mr.Moore,I have a 2007 Chevy

Customer Question

Hi, Mr.Moore,I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban that seems to crank excessively. I took it to he dealer and they said the fuel pressure was ok. They could not mimic the problem. I can drive the car for about 30mins. but when I restart it, it cranks excessively even when I release the key,the truck will try to start on its on. The dealer found no codes.If I hold the gas pedal down that cuts the cranking time.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.
Most often, an extended crank symptom is caused by low fuel pressure. Your dealer tested it and said it was OK; however, they also didn't replicate your problem, which renders their test results inconclusive. Any testing that takes place has to be accompanied by a symptom, if you're testing it when it's working properly, of course the test results will reveal no problem found. However, you also say that when this occurs, you can hold the pedal down and it seems to start more quickly. This suggests that the engine is flooded, and there are only a couple of reasons why the engine would be flooded. A leaking fuel injector, excessive fuel pressure, an evap purge solenoid that is stuck open, or a coolant temp sensor issue would be the top hitters here. Again, replicating the concern is important when it comes time to test things. If this were in my shop, I would taking a ride with you to make sure we replicate the problem, then once I could make the truck act up, I would perform the appropriate testing on each of those systems to see what's going on.