GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet venture: 98 venture, will only start with gas pedal

Customer Question

98 venture, will only start with gas pedal fully pressed, and when it finally starts, black smoke pours out, and the idle creeps up to 2,500. Fuel pressure 45 with key on, and left overnite with key off the gauge still read 45, so the injectors are not leaking. With gas to floor, it takes awhile to start, and runs rough until all the excess fuel is burned off.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youcan you give me the computer codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes, I myself am a life long mechanic, I am 65 years old, and have a small auto shop in Hull, georgia, I can unplug the MAF and that code will show up, so the computer is working, it has stumped me, so I was hoping someone would know the answer. There are several cases of this on the internet, but no solution. It seems to be a chevy venture problem. I have replaced all the obvious sensors, but no matter what I try, nothing changes. the engine floods instantly upon turning the key to start, and will NEVER start unless the gas is held to the floor and it takes 5 to 10 seconds of cranking and then it will purged most of the flooding and will begin to stumble and will finally start with clouds of black smoke from the exhaust, but with a 2,000 plus rpm idle that will eventually come down, but if I touch the gas, it goes back up and takes awhile to come down again. It is NOT driveable. The internet says tps, but I have changed that and other sensors, NO change, the car has 69,000 actual miles. I was hoping someone would have the solution, as this problem seems to be chevy venture problem. One person that has posted on the internet says his venture will cruise at 70 on the highway without touching the gas, and to be clear, that is without cruise control. Once I get it started and running smooth, I can shut it off, and immediately try to start it, it wont fire even one time, it is instantly flooded,strong raw gas smell from tail pipe, but I can connect a fuel pressure gauge and turn on the key and it shows 45, and I can turn the key off and let the vehicle sit over night and the fuel pressure is still there, so the injectors are not bleeding, the flood situation happens the instant I turn the key on. How the hell can that happen, it doesn't add up does it? It will never fire even one blip when I try to start it, it is instantly flooded.
hidoes your fuelpressure tester have a check valve[lock] that locks the pressure?can you give me the computer codes?what sensors did you replace?does it do this hot and cold? thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already answered all your questions in DETAIL. I am 65 years old and have always been a proffesional mechanic, go back and read all of my messages to you, and then tell me you need more info.
i did..it doesnt tell me,if your fuel pressure tester have a check valve[lock] that locks the pressure?tell me what sensors you replaced,,thanks
it also doesnt tell me if you have any trouble codes
are you there?