GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet: I have a 2008 Uplander. The radio and power windows

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Uplander. The radio and power windows stay active long after I take the key out of the ignition and open the door. I tried removing each fuse and relay to see if any would make the radio turn off (radio turned off only when the fuse for the radio was removed). I also get a service theft system indicator. I have tried to have the van relearn the key, but the indicator will not turn off after leaving the ignition on for 10 minutes. I have left it in for 45 minutes and the service theft system indicator stays on. Any suggestions? Money is very tight. I am hoping this is something I can fix myself.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I am Cam. can I get your name please? Can you tell me if your light comes on when you open your drivers door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does.
Have you ever had your system scanned to see what theft codes are set?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** did not get the codes scanned.
Ok Robert, can you tell me the history of this issue? Any recent repairs, accidents, water intrusion? Anything that may help figure this out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two nights ago I noticed the radio was on when the van was not running. I tried to start the van but was not able to. I thought the battery was dead. I removed the battery and had it charged and checked. When I reinstalled the battery, I got the theft system indicator. I tried to relearn he key but the indicator will not turn off after ignition switched on for 45 minutes. We had an electric storm a few nights ago, but no visible damage on the van from lightening strike. There has not been any problems before I noticed the radio on.
I would like you to try something. Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.See if doing this changes anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Did it. No change.
In the dash fuse block is a relay called the RAP relay, try swapping that with another of the same number and see what that does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Swapped the relay and no change.
I am thinking your Body Control Module (BCM) is faulty then. It controls that relay and uses the door switch to do it. With your interior light working, it stands to reason that module has failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the bcm something that can be tested to see if it is working properly? Is it a matter of just swapping it out? Or is it more complicated? I have lots of time but not much money to spend on the repair.
It's diagnosed by checking codes with a full scan tool, then performing diagnosis on the outside circuits. Sorry to say but it's not a plug and play unit, it requires programming to work properly.