ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Chevrolet cavalier: We changed our battery. Since then the

Customer Question

We changed our battery. Since then the odometer is reading error, abs light is on, service light is on and brake light is on. car runs and drives fine.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you
lets try something ..
remove both battery cables from the battery,touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds,then re-install tem back to the battery,,
let me know if that fixed your problem
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did not fix the problem. Everything works but the odometer. Service light is on, ABS light is on, Brake light is on. Car runs. The day time running lights flash and go on and off (kind of flickers).
ok..check the ground wire from the - battery cable to the body of the car
make sure you are getting a good ground from the battery to the cars body
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did that also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of the we's is a mechanic. He is absolutely stuck that we can't get the odometer working or the codes to clear when the car runs great. Any obscure suggestions? We did all the obvious ones we think. At least the first two.
okplease stand by,i will opt out..someone will be right with you
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your problem. Is the new IPC doing the exact same thing as the old one was?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. they are both acting the same.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Do any of the gauges work? If you have a scan tool will it communicate with the IPC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the other guages work. The odometer says error. We have a service light, a brake light and an abs light on. We can't get it to run the monitors either. It drives well.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
So you can not communicate with the IPC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't have a scanner. We just have a code reader.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Oh Ok so that will not read the codes for the PCM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said it ran three monitors, it won't run the other four.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Does it say which ones are running and which ones are not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
02, 02 heater, catalyst and evac do not run.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Does this vehicle have an after market radio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle has no radio. It was stolen out of the car.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Ok here are a few things to check,
check the Purple wire in terminal A1 in the C1 connector of the stock radio connector for shorts. Check for water under the carpet that could cause the Sensing Diagnostic Module to get corroded. Disconnect the Electronic Brake Control Module and recheck to see if the IPC is working correctly, Disconnect the Power train Control Module and recheck.
You may have to put the old cluster back in, many clusters have to be programmed to the vehicle and if the one you have has not been programmed it may not work. If all of the above does not help I would reinstall the new cluster and get it programmed, a Tech II scan too is required to do the programming.
Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What side for the carpets? We are hopeful at this point :)
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Passenger side front