Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

CHEVY CAPRICE: 1990 CHEVY CAPRICE 305, WHEN SETTING THE TIMING,

Customer Question

1990 CHEVY CAPRICE 305, WHEN SETTING THE TIMING, IS THERE A WIRE I HAVE TO DISCONNECT FROM THE COMPUTER BEFORE SETTING THE TIMING? BRAD
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitThe vehicle should be running at normal operating temperature.All engine loads should be OFF.The transmission should be in PARK or NEUTRAL.The engine should be running at idle speedThe Adjustment Procedure is as follows: Disconnect the SET TIMING connector (tan/black wire) located in the harness close to distributer. DO NOT disconnect the 4 wire connector at distributor. The "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light will flash.Connect a timing light inductive pick-up to the Number 1 spark plug wire, and inspect timing mark.If an adjustment is necessary, see SPECIFICATIONS/ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC for timing values. NOTE : Loosen the hold down bolt, and rotate the distributer to adjust timing. Tighten the hold down and recheck the timing.Reconnect the SET TIMING connector, and clear the ECM by disconnecting the ECM power source, or disconnect the battery negative terminal for 30 seconds.