cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified ASE Technician With 35 years experience
36867192

Chevrolet corvette: Car is stuck in N D will not go into park

Customer Question

Car is stuck in N D will not go into park so i disconnected the battery overnight came back out this morning to start the car after hooking up the battery and tha car will not start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry your having this problemwhat year is this Corvette ?no matter where you shift the shifter the display shows D or N ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will only shift between N or D
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok if you get under the drivers side back under the car and find the shift cable where it connects to the transmissions shift lever make sure the cable is still attached to the lever if it is still attached then pop off the shift cable and can you shift the little metal lever on the transmission into park and reverse ect..where the dash matches the gear you put it in ?# ***** in this picture is the cable end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where the shifter is already matches the gear its in i believe that a shifting seinoid is bad ..........my problem is after diconnecting the battery last night the car wont start today
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if you disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then tough the 2 battery cables together for 2 minutes then reconnect the battery cables to the battery will it shift into reverse or park after doing that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will that get the car started
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
we are hoping that will allow the shifter to be able to go into park so the car will start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car started last night in neutral but the car wouldnt allow me to shut anything off thats why i disconnected the battery
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
try the battery thing and see what it doesare you sure the battery is good with volts and amps and has no bad cells in it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brand new battery
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok did you try the battery thing i said ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary if we get disconnected my text # *****(###) ###-####the battery inicates it needs a charge can i get back with you after it charges
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
yes let me knowalso have that battery tested for volts and amps and for bad cellsi dont care if its new you must be sure that new battery is not defective
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just took it too auto parts store only has 12.3 volfs. Tested good they are going to charge it for 3hrs
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
oklet me knowim just shocked a brand new battery you bought needs to be recharged since its brand new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Puschased in 12/14
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything that could have happened after disconnecting the car i battery in Accesory Mode
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
no not really
lets see what happens with a good full charged battery
sometimes with low volts the shift inter lock solenoids and relays when there is low volts can not operate correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery up to 12.9 volts did all tou asked put the ywo cables together for 2 mins then tried to move shifter lever and then start,the car ..........it does not shift or start still now what
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
disconnect the shift cable off the rear under the car like i sent you a picture earlier
shift the transmission in park by hand
will the car start up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done car still will not start
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.
It appears that in all of the connecting and disconnecting of the battery you have possible triggered the vehicles anti theft system, your problem probably started out as a solenoid failure in the shifter ,it will have to be replaced, and the vehicle will have to be towed to the nearest GM dealership to be able to get the vehicle out of theft mode. Only a GM dealership will be able to get the vehicle out of theft mode, this is federally mandated to keep thieves from stealing your car. Please accept my answer.