Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chevrolet Trailblazer: I have a 2002 trailblazer. While going

Customer Question

I have a 2002 trailblazer. While going down a hill, in the daytime--no rain-- with the car running, the speedometer started going crazy, then all the dash lights came on followed by the car dying. Now the car will not start or do anything for that matter. when i turn the key the speedometer goes crazy and the door chime just starts beeping like its the end of time. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already cleaned and tightened the battery leads
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a volt meter to test with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a volt meter. However I am not with my car. It's about a ten minute walk away from me. So, if you could give me some detailed troubleshooting ideas. i can go and do them, then get back to you.
Thanks, ***** ***** the delay.
I need to start with the battery voltage.
One reading without trying to start it, and another reading when the key is held in the start position.
I had one act just like this awhile back and the battery was shorted and with all the electronics in this vehicle it does crazy things just like you have. Just a hunch, but we need to start with that.
If the volts drop below 10 volts, then the battery is either shorted or the alternator is not charging it.
Let me know when you can..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do, I'll be back. Tyvm
Good deal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay--pant.. pant...---, so it reads 12.8 in off position and 12.0 in start. Next?
easy now...dont want to blow a gasket...lol
Those are good readings so now it gets harder to solve.
The next thing to try is to disconnect both battery cables and hold them together for about 30 seconds/1 minute and this will reset the computer and hopefully start. Sorry i didnt tell you that earlier i was really thinking the battery was shorted....if it does happen to start it will drive a bit different because it has to relearn the different strategy's programmed in the computer. If it doesnt help at all then thats about as far as you can go without a scan tool that can read live data.....let me know and good luck!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, none of your suggestions helped. I ended up having to have my car towed 150 miles to get have a mechanic diagnosis it. Thank you anyway
Yes, sometimes all issues are just impossible to diagnose online without being there and we sure tried all we could!
LJ