Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Express 1500: Got a 1997 Chevy Express van. Ran out

Customer Question

Got a 1997 Chevy Express van. Ran out of fuel, put 2 gallons of fuel just to get it to a gas station. Cranked fine and got to the gas station. Filled up with gas, now it won't start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
it will not do anything with starting fluid ? will it at least run a bit on the starting fluid ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It acts like it wants to, but will not turn over completely. Stutters and shuts off
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
any access to a fuel pressure gauge ?a lot of times when fuel is run low or out then the gas is filled up in the tank a weak fuel pump will fail causing this problemyou need to see if the fuel pressure is 60 - 66 key ON engine OFFif its not at that spec replace the fuel filterif it still will not run and the fuel pressure is still under spec the fuel pump will need to be changed i am sorry to say
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, gonna try to get the vehicle jacked up to access the fuel filter. I can hear the fuel pump come on. My previous mechanic told me he got ready to take the fuse box OFF to inspect it a time before, couldn't get it off. Decided to put it back, then the vehicle cranked.. (Shrugs)
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
we will have to know the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump or fuel filter being the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me call around
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
sounds goodyou can always get me back through this post for free for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate us here at Justanswer !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The reading we got with a pressure tester ranged from 59 to 61
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if key ON engine OFF it is that range and somewhat hold for a few seconds that should be enough fuel pressure for the engine to run
can you see if the spark plugs are fouled out and gas soaked ?
are there any codes in this computer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know anything about a computer codes. We are looking at the Distributor Cap and Rudder, Coil, and Module. The module tested good at Auto Zone. We've identified that we aren't getting any power.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Key on does the pink wires at both the module and coil show 12 volts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've replace the coil and its running now.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Great job real bad timing for a coil to go bad when running out of gas make sure the coil wire and cap and rotor get changed as high resistance in any of them will kill the coil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeh we've replaced the distributor cap and rotor as well
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
great to hearim so glad its running now for youyou can always get me back through this post if you need any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer !dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it has stalled in me and now it won't crank again, smh
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok does it have spark out of the coil when cranking it over ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, unfortunately we've driven away from the mechanic that was helping me dissect everything.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
we need to go back to basics and see if its missing spark or fuel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As we were driving, there were a few times when the vehicle stuttered onvus real badly. We've pulled over twice, all for it to crank back up and run as if nothing was ever wrong. This has been crazy!!!
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
at this point if it still has good fuel pressure and this is a spark issue make sure the pink wire at the coil and the module and the crank sensor show 12 volts at all 3 with the key ON
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
this could very well be a bad crank sensor causing this problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, we did say that would possibly be the last cause. Even though from the looks of the other parts changed, the old ones were pretty much burnt and worn. Could have been a multiple problem.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
could have beenwe have had bad crank sensors bad ignition switches and bad fuel pumps causing these kind of issuesbut so hard to guess or assume with out testing