Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

I am trying to install a Pontiac Grand Am 2003 CD Radio into

Customer Question

I am trying to install a Pontiac Grand Am 2003 CD Radio into my 2001 Chevy Impala
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.
sorry.........won't work.......These Vehicles use the BCM to communicate with the RadiosThe GM Radios for these years are "Class 2 DATA Type" RadiosUse of GM Dealer Scan Tool & GM Computer is needed to ProgramYou can use / Program a 2001 into the 2001, but you cannot use / Program a 2003 into the 2001Different DATADifferent BCMBy the time you pay the GM Dealer to tell you it won't work, you could install Aftermarket or the "correct Unit"..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So there is no way to override this feature?
NO......if there was, everybody would be using the Factory Radios in different cars.I have been Delco Warranty for over 20 years & we have to use special Equipment to connect on Repair Bench to Unlock & turn On.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So even a dealer can't do it?
No.....as I posted aboveWrong DATAWrong BCMThe 2003 will NOT match, nor Program into the 2001Dealers also charge apprx $85.00 - 145.00 to Program..........even if it does NOT work, which it won't.
Hello again Lurch here.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about.
If I have helped, please RATE my answer
I would appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.
If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.
.
.............................