George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Chevrolet malibu maxx LTZ: I'm a mecanic my self but not up

Customer Question

I'm a mecanic my self but not up to date with OBD2 from 2005+,, I have an 2006 Chevy malibu Maxx LTZ wich comes up with the DTC code : B0015,, and for the ABS/ SIR I get B0100,,, I can't find the definition of the B0015 code. For the B0100 I know it "Short in D Squib circuit",, but we're?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, If you can get the suffix code that will narrow it down quite a bit. Requires a little better reader to get that though. The code description is linked below Click here Look that over and please let me know how I can help you with this Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick reply,,, this helped lots! Only one thing wich has not been answered tho... about the B0100 code.... "short in D squid circuit"... but did like your response :)
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
No B0100 anywhere, if it were ABS it would be C0100.
Could it be B1000 that is a death sentence for the SRS module?
Let me know how i can help
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the situation: scan by Innova 3150,,, enhanced chevrolet code B0100 (4x). 1- chevrolet MIL : Short in D Squib circuit.... 2- chevrolet current : short in D Squib circuit. 3- FSC DTC : short in D Squib circuit. 4- History : Short in D Squib circuit. SRS scan : B0015. ABS scan : chevrolet B0100 ABS history Short in D Squib circuit. So what do you think of this? Is it possible that the retensioner resistance shorts out causes this? This is my first time I see this
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You certainly have a problem with the driver's pretensioner. The B0100 is not a valid code so I would be using a better scantool to see what is going on. Let me know how i can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understood the B0015,, the answer for the B0100 code is not satisfactory,,, the dealer says that the B0100 is the front left air bag sensor,,, it may be causing a short (bad connectors etc),,, so are the 2 codes related or are 2 seperate issue? I can have B0100-01 etc,, or B0101 etc,, I will check for a better scan tool.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I wish there was a B0100 code in the service information but there is not. I don't know where the dealer is getting a B0100 is left front sensor. Fix the one you know then see if this code is still there. If it is then you will need to put a better scantool on it. GM does not list a B0100 as a valid code for this vehicle. Click here for code list You can see from the list the B0100 is not valid, it is being generated inside the scantool so that is why you need another tool to cross check. Let me know how I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is so strange,,, one reason why I don't like sending my car out to the garage or dealer for that matter. They like to make $$$ by changing everything. I have an eye on a OTC scan, ,, meanwhile I will replace the drivers seat belt pretensioner,, but how can it deploye? Wasn't involve in a crash.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If the connector for the belt retractor is loose, wet or dislodged then you will have this code, if you had the 2 digit suffix to the code you would know if it is shorted or open. Before replacing anything I would get a good scantool on it and see what it says, at a minimum you need all od the B0015 code. Let me know how i can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K,, this does make sense. I'll check to hook up the car on a better scan and see what's up. I'll check all the connectors to make sure first... if there's something i'll get back on this. Thanks.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Great, if you get the rest of the code I will be happy to help you work through the troubleshooting. Thank you'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update: I decided to go my way,,, electricity on cars is one of my strong points,,, so I did the ohm test on the pretensioner and it passed. (2.6),, anywhere between 2and3 steady reading is good. So it lead to bad connection in the harness. The pretensioner plug was checked and the connectors wich is under the rockerpanel trim near the drivers seat. I guess humidity or water gets there and corrodes the connectors. After checking all connectors related with the SIR/SIS and BCM,, and put di-electric grease on them... Now no more codes! Problem solved.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Poor connection then, glad you didn't go throwing parts at it. You say you checked the pre tensioner? With an ohmeter? If you did we need to have a talk. Let me know how I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep,, checked the seat belt retractor / pretensioner with an Ohmeter,,, you put the ohmeter set at 200. You must remove the plug wich contains the resistor in the pretensioner unit, ,, in order to obtain the correct Ohms from the 2 posts connection of the pretensioner. Most shops will not do this,, they will assume the unit is bad from the scan results and replace the entire unit... To check all the seat belt pretensioner,, you don't need a scan tool.. if the pretensioner is not blowend or locked up the ohms will be between 2 and 3. Anywhere below it is a blowend pretensioner,, or above it or fluxtuates (unsteady reading) is a bad unit. What? you didn't know you can check a seat belt pretensioner with an ohmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it worked for me and my problem is solved :)
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You check the tensioner by a process of elimination not direct measurement. Your ohmeter applies voltage from its internal battery to the circuit under measurement. If you are unsure hook your ohmeter leads up to a voltmeter.
You are very lucky that applying voltage to the squib in the tensioner did not fire it and cause the tensioner to fire.
Industry standard for a reason - NEVER measure squibs for resistance.
Also di-electric grease is not to be used in airbag harness connectors. You can use a conductivity promoter such as Stabiliant 22 but never grease.
Glad you got the codes gone and nobody got hurt.
Let me know if you have further questions
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well shops that remanufacture these do exactly what I did. Actually is a shop in GA,, that told me about it! Sometimes it's the resistor that shorts out,, it cost 65$ to fix. Btw I used a multi-meter.. and set it on Ohms. I understand your point... and it's well takend. As long that the ohmeter leads don't touch each other while checking, ,, your ok... These shops must know what they're doing and saying ;) on this I leave you and have a great day!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Glad you got it straightened out, please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't rate yet cause i'm not decided yet,, you didn't resolve my problem,, I did on my own from my researchs... the B0015 I knoow about it from the start,,, it was the other code wich I wasn't sure if it was related or connected. Your help didn't fix my problem. Only references wich I did keep. 38$US wich is paid for is expensive just for one link as reference. BTW,, I cleaned the connections again et put the stabilant 22.... the only thing good out of this is your quick response :) I will get back for the rating. Best regards.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If you have an account issue please use the link at the bottom of every page to contact customer service where they can help you. I hope you review the reasons I posted that could cause the B0015 code and my insistence that the B0015 was the only code you should be troubleshooting. You never want to dive right in cleaning and tightening connections, you may disturb a condition that would be a clue to reoccurring conditions. We take a different approach, I like to do the required testing before throwing something at it so if the first guess does not work I have a full picture of what is happening in the system and I can narrow down the root cause quickly and not try things to see if they stick. Again I am glad your codes are gone, please let me know if you have further questions Thank you