AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Chevy Astro Van: I have a 1999 Chevy Astro Van 4.3L V6 2WD.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Chevy Astro Van 4.3L V6 2WD. Its has about 189K miles and has been a great ride. Just recently this last week, it blew the ECMI fuse which it has never done before. I was going about 70mph on the freeway when it decided to blow. I replaced the fuse and it fired right back up. Went on my way, and it blew again this time displaying the check engine light. I replaced it once more and drove a few hours back home where it hasn't blown a fuse since (that was a few days ago). The following codes also came up this morning when I checked: P1870, P0135, P0155, P1153. I recently got a smog on this vehicle and it Passed back in MAY 2015. I have had issues before with O2 sensors saying they were bad when I knew for a fact that they were good. Due to this issue, I replaced the ECM and had it reprogrammed with a used one. After replacing the ECM, the codes where still there. To get it to smog, I had to replace the EGR. During inspection for the smog, the tech found one of the 02 sensors unplugged. He plugged it in, and bam, the Van passed smog. This morning I checked the connectors at the ECM for all four ports plus sprayed some DEOXIT to help clean the contacts thinking it was a wiring harness issue. I checked all harnesses while the vehicle was running to see if it would blow again, and it did not. Is there anything I am missing on the this vehicle that would cause all these codes? Or is it time to surrender and get something else? I commute daily avg 180 miles.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. If you clear the codes, which code comes back first?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late replay. Worked Van Halen show last night. Anyway, codes as follows:
P0135 CNF, P0155 CNF, P1870 CNF, P0155 PND
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information and sorry for the delay!
The P0135 is for oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1. Here is how to diagnose this code. Test the heater power and ground at the HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1. Test the sensor signal voltage at the HO2S during the problem or test. Verify that the voltage is moving or is fixed. Check that the sensor described on the scanner is the sensor being tested.
If the sensor signal voltage is varying during testing and the scan value is fixed, test the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) powers and grounds. Replace the PCM. If the voltage is fixed at the sensor or there is 0.0/wrong voltage, test the signal circuit from the PCM to the HO2S connector.
As fas as the ECM1 fuse goes, there is a list of possible causes.
Fuel injectors
Crankshaft position sensor
Vehicle control module
Ignition control module
Ignition coil
Wiring to any of the above.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to send you a wiring diagram of this circuit.
Customer
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer