Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Cobalt LS: blower not working on 2006 cobalt ..replaced

Customer Question

blower not working on 2006 cobalt ..replaced hvac panel resistor and blower motor
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
do you have any access to a multi meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting twelve to the blower
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the issue getting 12 volts to the blower
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok greatwith the blower set to high the brown wire has 12 volts at the blower motor ?if so is the orange a GOOD ground at the blower motor ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how am I testing the brown and the orange with the meter
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
set your meter to DC volts car on and blower set to high one meter lead into the brown wire terminal and other meter lead into the orange wire terminalwhat does the meter read ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's when it read 12
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
and this has a brand new blower motor in it ?the blower motor just needs one wire at 12 volts and the other a good ground for it to operate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I test ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
someone said might be a bad ground to blower
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brand new blower and resistor
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
it may be a bad ground set your meter to OHMS one meter lead into the orange wire terminal and the other meter lead to a GOOD metal ground under the dash and see what it reads for ohmsALSO you can get a good length of wire and connect one end to bare clean metal under the dash then stick the other end of the wire into the orange wire terminal to contact just the orange terminal in the connector with the blower set to high and the car on will the blower run if you do that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I ll check ohms later how do I put orange wire in the plug with it connected
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
you should be able to strip back the wire you made for the ground and with the connector plugged in you should be able to stick it in from the back side where the wire goes into the connector and it should touch the terminal enough to run the blower
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok that's what I thought any ideas where to ground it
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
anything bare metal under the passenger side of the dash will do just fineif it WILL run check for a loose or bad ground behind the glove box area ground # ***** 203 as seen here in this pictureG203 is the ground the heater controller uses to send to the orange wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried your idea with the direct ground and it didn't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I'm at the car with the meter I just need to know how to check the ohms
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
set your meter to OHMS one meter lead into the orange wire terminal and the other meter lead to a GOOD metal ground under the dash and see what it reads for ohms
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
with the car on and blower set to high
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I just don't know what a 1 meter lead is
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
off your meter there should be 2 test leads
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know what that is I just don't know where to turn the dial
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
should have a setting for ohms or resistance to choose fromit just bothers me you say you have 12 volts testing at the blower motor and it still will not workits either a defective blower motor or possibly the meter is reading wrongas the blower just needs 1 wire 12 volts and the other a good ground for it to workdid you check that ground i told you to check yet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am pulling 12.98 volts on the DC meter I tested the ground wire which is the orange wire to a direct medle part of the frame
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
lets see if another expert can helphang on another expert will reply back to you