BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

05 Tahoe 4wd clunk/ thud noise. Idle then launch, noise appears

Customer Question

05 Tahoe 4wd clunk/ thud noise. Idle then launch, noise appears sometimes. Stop at stop sign, launch noise appears, sometimes. Setting in drivers seat, sounds like it's coming from left front area. Intermediary shaft replaced. No change. Front drive shaft u-joints replaced. No change. Left front cv joint replaced. No change. Removed rear drive shaft and drove in 4wd. No change. Loosen and tighten all cross member and all other major bolts. No change. Place in park, rock vehicle forward/backward and with every rock, noise appears. Hold hand on Trans cross member while rocking, very distinctive thud/clank feel. Hold hand on either drive shaft, little to no feel of clunk/ thud.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Can you tell me how many miles are on it and if the vehicle is stock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
99,450 miles, completely stock.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Does it make the same noise if you put it in*****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can put it in 4wd hi or 4wd low and it makes the same noise.
You can place the vehicle in park, rock it back and forth(front to rear), and it will make the clump/thud noise with each rock.
I've placed my hand on the transmission's rear cross member support and I feel a pronounced thump with each rock.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
From all of the information you gave me it sounds like a failure that is beginning to occur in the transfer case. This is the weakest link in the power train. If the u-joints all appear to be fine then I would drain out the fluid from the transfer case and see if it contains any metal. If it does then it is the issue. If there is nothing at all in it then it may be in the transmission itself, but that is not as likely.