Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet chevy tracker: my tracker started rattling yesterday

Customer Question

my tracker started rattling yesterday like the lifters were dry. do they have oil pump drive problems.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry your having this problemthese engines have an oil pump system in them but usually with a low or no oil pressure issue the dash would say there was low oil pressuredoes this have an oil pressure gauge in the dash ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no gauge.The oil light goes off before it finishes cranking.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
has an oil pressure test been done with a mechanical oil pressure gauge yet to confirm good oil pressure ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No: is there a port to hook to?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
you remove the oil pressure sensor and connect the oil pressure gauge to the port the oil sensor came out of to test the oil pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is it located?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
drivers side front of engine located between the AC compressor and the engine mounting bracket should be a single wire to it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it 1/8 in. pipe thread and what pressure should expect?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
it should be 1/8 or 1/4Oil Pressure at 4,000 RPM 390 - 470 kPa (55.5 - 66.8 psi)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK i'll try to find a gauge tomorrow and check it if it stops raining.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
sounds good let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what tool do i need to remove the oil pressure sensor? can't get to it with channel locks and my socket for oil pressure sensors 1 1/16 in. is too big.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
you need an oil pressure socket to remove it or a big deep socket to remove it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the oil pressure sensor out today and hooked up the gauge. The pressure ran about 68 psi. idling cold and close to 100 psi. at 4000 r.p.m. . Is the port before or after the oil filter? Also; the chatter seemed to settle down at higher r.p.m.s . Do you think a can of Rislone and a new filter is the next step?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
i would add a can of engine restore or rislone and a new filter and see if the lifters quiet down if they do not after 100 miles then the only way to fix this problem is to replace all the lifters