Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Chevrolet: WHY DID MY CAR BURST INTO FLAMES WHEN I GOT OFF

Customer Question

WHY DID MY CAR BURST INTO FLAMES WHEN I GOT OFF THE EXIT I WAS SUCK IN THE CAR A STATE TROOPER PULLED THE DOOR AND I KICKED HE PULLED ME OUT AND MY RIGHT ARM HAIRS WERE SINGED THEN THE FIRE DEPT. CANE AND SAID THE CAR WAS ABOUT TO EXPLODE WHEN THE FIRE HIT THE FUEL TANK MASSIVE EXPLOSION EVEN ALL TIRES BURNT I HAVE HAD 3 ZR1 CARS 201O, 2011 AND THE LAST IONE WAS A 2013 CHEVEY PUT OUT A BULLETIN THAT IT WAS NORMAL TO BE SLUGGISH ON TAKE OFF I DO NOT BELIEVE IT I ALMOST DIED IN THS CAR WHAT HAPPENED ??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Glad you got out with what appears like minimal harm. A fire needs a fuel source as you know. For a fire to consume a vehicle fast it needs a volatile fuel source. That means it has to have hot oil or fuel. Fuel (gasoline) is the most likely source. More then likely a fuel line had a seal fail or fuel line fitting failed. This allowed the hot fuel to pour all over the exhaust system, which immediately ignited the fuel. There are no TSBs or recalls for fuel leaks so it was most likely just a fluke failure of a part, that you could not have known about nor prevented. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris