Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 98 Silverado seems to be loosing its fuel prime replaced

Customer Question

my 98 Silverado seems to be loosing its fuel prime replaced fuel pump and filter what else should I be looking at that could cause this
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waithow do you know its loosing its prime ?what is the truck doing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after it sits a day or two its very hard to start and there's no fuel at the test port have changed the pump and fliter
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
how do you end up getting it to start up when this happens ?key ON engine OFF its showing 0 PSI at the test port when its acting up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to get it to start have to turn thee key on and off nine or ten times then crank the hell out of it. it will start at a flutter then it takes off and runs fine
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if that fuel pump was just changed and it is doing the exact same thing it was with the old pump and when its doing this the pump is running when its having a hard time starting when it sits then this issue will usually come down to the fuel pressure regulator or an outside chance of an injector or two possibly leaking when the truck sitsif we assume the fuel pump is good and not defective and there is no visual fuel leaks at all then removing the upper intake manifold and replacing the spider injection which has the regulator as part of the injection unit should correct this issue