Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo and I've recently had the front

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo and I've recently had the front brakes replace along with the rotors. while the mechanics were in there they mentioned that i may need new front struts because they may be the original ones that came with the car. I find this interesting
because I had them replaced last year. My question is... Is there any way possible for me to get a listing of the original parts that were installed on the car upon it's being built? If so how would i be able to obtain this list. I'd like to be able to have
a list like those so i can verify whether or not work was done on these Struts.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

First it is all too common for a shop to recommend new struts if they think they are original, BUT that does NOT mean they are original OR even need replaced! because they could have been replaced with the same original struts that come from the dealer. It is an up sale tool that too many shops use and would make me leary of them. The best course of action for you to take is go to the shop that replaced them, or call them and ask for a copy of their records. A build list will not supply you with any useful information in a case like this.

Larry

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Larry,
Thanks for the rapid response. I have the invoice from the repair from last year when the struts were installed. I was just paranoid since the guys at the new shop mentioned it. Last year when I had the struts installed I had to return to the shop that repaired them twice because my car was making sounds that it wasn't before i brought it to them for repair. This is why I'm a little suspect of the shop that installed the struts. It's a Mavis Discount Tire repair shop.

I have fired many mechanics for doing just what this new shop did. I bet if you were to go ask them why they said they needed replacement if they were not leaking, they wont have an answer. I have had to bail out way too many untrained mechanics who are just trying to up sale the customer. Now, sure if they are original and have over 100K miles AND the tires are showing cupping wear patterns, then it would be advisable to replace, but i have seen original struts last 200K miles before they got weak, or more for leaking....i'm just being honest when i say this about the person who "thought they looked" original...pretty vague.

If you had them replaced and they are not leaking or making noises they are just fine.

Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thanks Larry I appreciate the response have a good 4th of July Holiday.

You are more than welcome!

You do the same now!

Take care and please remember to rate my service or i dont get credit for working with you.

Thanks for asking!

I noticed you didnt rate yet. Do you have any further questions?

If not please use the rating or i done receive any credit for helping you today.

Take care my friend!

Larry