Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Cavalier: good morning I have a 1989 chevy cavalier.

Customer Question

good morning I have a 1989 chevy cavalier. I came out to start it and nothing. I changed the battery and starter, I have no lights, horn, nothing electrical, I believe a fuse is blown. I checked the fuse box under dashboard. Is there another location for a fuse. Thank you for your time
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitif not even the horn will work the odds are we are missing a big power from the starter big stud which has 3 fusible links connected to that stud where the positive battery cable connects to the starterA in the picture is one of the links that may be blown outwhat you need to do is testing those 3 links as seen in the picture all 3 should show 12 volts right where it connects to the starter then follow back each of those 3 wires @ 6 inches and see if all 3 have power in the wirethe odds are one or all 3 maybe blown which would NOT show 12 volts @ 6 inches back on the wireany that are blown you need to replace the fusible link which its best to remove the blown one bring it to your local parts store so they can match up the correct size wire link you need then shrink wrap in the new fusible link wireonce power is restored through all 3 links the car should start and be fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** on the wait, had issues with e-mail. I,am curious why would those links knock out the power for horn lights radio etc?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
those are what carry the main battery power to the ignition switch and fuse boxon these older cars instead of big fuses in an under hood fuse box which most newer cars have they used fusible links instead of big fuses to protect the main powers to the ignition switch and fuse boxits basically a fuse but the wire itself center lower section is made of the same material as a regular fuse and when they go bad the inside of the wire burns just like a a fusefinding and replacing the bad links should fix this problem you are having
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I do have one more thing, the guy that hooked up the starter may have done it wrong. there are 4 leads and three studs.There is a thick gauge wire that goes to the top stud of the solenoid, there is also two wires that splice into one connection, does that wire go to the top stud also, and the last wire (black) goes on the stud that is farthest from the front of the vehicle. I remember being under there changing my oil, cant remember, appreciciate the pic but hard to tell. Again thank you for the insight
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
there should be one small purple wire to the small stud on the solenoid
and the big stud should have the positive battery connected to it and 3 link wires
the lowerish stud you connect nothing too
make sure the wiring is hooked up just like the picture i sent you
you can always get me back through this post with any follow up anytime with the question for free even after you rate us here at Justanswer !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lowest stud is farthest stud from front of vehicle?, and the bigger stud should have three connections to it. Hard to make out picture
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the lower stud should not have anything added to it as the lower stud is just connected with a small wire that goes back into the starterthat is the power that is sent to activate the starter internally