Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT: I have a 96 k1500 suburban 4x4

Customer Question

I have a 96 k1500 suburban 4x4 5.7l
while driving, the engine just shut off and now cranks but will not start. I replaced the fuel filter and am only getting about 15-20 psi fuel pressure that will hold. i hear the fuel pump turn on to prime and shut off like normal. I am not getting any codes, but also dont want to just get a fuel pump and try it. Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? I do have spark as well.
Thanks
Bill
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long wait Billthe fuel pressure key ON engine OFF should be close to 60 PSI and holdif this had a regulator problem it would make pressure quick but not holdyou CAN to be 100 % sure pinch off the fuel return line or cap off that return line and see if the pressure still is that low if it is the pump is bad if by chance it goes up to 60 and holds then the regulators badsince the fuel filter is brand new and the pressure is still this low i am sorry to say the fuel pump is bad and would need to be changed to correct this issue
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
any questions please ask
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, I replaced the pump and the sending unit because of damage to the wiring where it conects. Working ok now.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
great job