Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Corvette: Hey Neal, Hey Neal, I've been around

Customer Question

Hey Neal,
Hey Neal,
I've been around the garage a few times but never as a car tech. My career has been diesel & construction equipment. So whats the problem? No crank after my 86 corvette reaches 230F. Let it set & cool down to 190 it starts. It grunts a little on cold start but spins & fires up. my experience with hot start problems on diesels with timing, injectors & compression ok is a weak starter solenoid. At 230F to me that would be hot enough to make the starter bad.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the odds are the starter itself is causing this issue being weak when its hotwhen its acting up will the starter click or show 12 volts at the small wire at the starter solenoid when you hold the key to crank ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check starter draw on crank when hot. Want to make sure R&I on corvette starter is a lot of work. Before I put out any more money I'll check starter first. Thanks so far.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
see what the draw is on the big power wire at the starter when it will not crank overmake sure the battery cables are clean and tight and both cables are good both the positive and negative