GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: My 2009 silverado radio is locked

Customer Question

My 2009 silverado radio is locked up. I just bought the trick the other day. When i stay the ignition or displays "lock"
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I am cam. I'm sorry to hear this radio is not working for you and your new truck. Unfortunately I would love to give you a quick easy fix for this but it's not.These newer vehicles require programming with the factory scan tool and software to unlock the radio. This learns the VIN and speaker configuration for the vehicle to the radio for optimum performance. . Long gone are the days of using a code to unlock the radios. An honest shop would charge between 30-50 for this programming.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The guy yesterday said we need a factory scanner to unlock the radio
In its simplest form, yes, but its not the tool alone, its using the tool connected to the GM programming server to upload into the vehicle the calibrations which also learnt eh VIN of your vehicle to the radio. In this case the scanner is used as the tool to interface between the GM server and your vehicle. Its the Tech 2 or the MDI, both GM tools.