K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Chevrolet Traverse LS: Tim, Looking to put in a new starter

Customer Question

Tim, Looking to put in a new starter in my 2011 Chevy Traverse, any idea whats the best way to get it out?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, in order to get the start out you will need to remove the left exhaust manifold heat shield and catalytic converter. I suggest using some PB Blaster on the bolt/nuts of the converter before attempting to break them lose. I'll post the procedure at the link below. This is around a 1.5 hour job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So go from the top to do this?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Top for the heat shield and top catalytic converter nuts, then bottom for lower converter bolts and starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it, You Da Man... Thank you
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
It's my pleasure to help! If you run into any problems just reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK< got everything out ok, when I took the main power lug (the 13mm nut) and the small black plug (pulled off of starter) there was a wire in that same loom hanging, when I got a light I noticed it was a broken connector, it was held in with a bolt into the block (black, and brass center) looks like a ground or something, I think that may have been the problem the whole time, what is it so I can get a new one
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Is it a purple wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like a smaller blue and gray, the bolt goes through the center of it, and screws into the block, maybe some kinda ground?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
thnaks, in the picture atthe link below is it around where number 8 is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is round, the center is brass, and the outer is black plastic, it fastens to the block right behind the starter, basically between the oil filter and the rear of the starter
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
That's the knock sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its hard to see in the diagram but it looks like it, if a knock sensor, what does it do? just curious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea, thats DEF it, guess I broke it taking the starter out...LOL
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
The part number is ***** and they list for around 35.00 This would not cause the starter to not owrk but would casue the check engine light to come on and drivability problems. It senses vibrations in order to retard ignition timing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nobody has it, I can get it here tomorrow, do you know if I can install my starter,etc. and then tomorrow, put the knock sensor in, since its only 1 bolt? Thanks man
Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/96atb-chevrolet-traverse-ls-tim-looking-put-new-starter.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Yes, can install the knock sensor after putting the starter back in. (My apologies had to step out for a minute)