Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chevrolet Corvette: I have 85 Corvette with the L98 Engine

Customer Question

I have 85 Corvette with the L98 Engine and the 4+3 Tranny. Last night the transmission started making a sheet metal like rattling sound in 2nd and 3rd gear, worst in 3rd. In 4th gear the sound went away. Any suggestions? Joe from Massachusetts, new owner.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe,
Usually the cat converter heat shield (made of sheet metal) gets loose and causes this type noise. It has some small holes in it and rocks can get in there and vibrate and make that noise, the reason you notice with the trans is because of the rpm and load change. Have an exhaust shop put it up in the air and they can pinpoint it.
Larry
Just checking to see if you had any further questions. If not please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Larry