Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Can you help me with a radio programming issue?

Customer Question

Can you help me with a radio programming issue? i need help with the rear seat entertainment system

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Depending on what model and year this vehicle is some of the programming has to be done by a dealer with their computer and their scan tool in order to operate the radio functions properly.if you can post the year and model and what you are trying to do here this will help just let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a 2013 GMC Sierra and I need to know if it can be unlocked for an OE rear seat entertainment. The factory nav radio plays DVDs but we want to install an aftermarket DVD player and have it load through the factory nav up front. I'm being told it can be done, but I'm not sure of the programming instructions. I know it has to use the GM scan tool but do you have instructions on how to use that tool to program it?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.
It can be programmed but it has to be done with a GM scan tool and a GM dealers computer plugged into the scan tool to have the programming uploaded through the scan tool into your vehicle.This is the only way to have this done.
Its called Service Programming System on the scan tool and is one of the first options after you build the vehicle on the scan tool.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have information on the steps needed to be taken to do this? We took it to a local dealer and they could not get it done. I work at an automotive restyler and I had a feeling that it could be done, but unfortunately I don't know if the tech operating the machine knew how to complete the task. Once you go into the service programming system do you know what to do after that?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Once in that stage the rest is done on the GM computer.They would go into radio or body and select what you have to program it to your vehicle from there on their GM computer.Now the tricky part is,if there is no option to add this programming to your vehicle the dealer would have to call GM to see if GM will give them special programming for your vehicle to have this done.In some cases they will do this but in others they will not.
Thanks Pete