Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

When driving my 2001 cavalier when you start out it shifts

Customer Question

When driving my 2001 cavalier when you start out it shifts fine and speedometer works once you let off the gas to maintain speed the speedometer drops to 0 and shifts to neutral. Have changed speed sensor and checked wires, is this a transmition issue or electrical? Motor runs good
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Do you have the 2.2 or the 2.4 engine? Is your check engine light on or does it ever come n? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 2.2. The engine light will come on had it checked comes up emissions
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does the check engine light stay on or come on during problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stays on
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what diagnostic codes your getting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I can't find the paper with the print out
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That would help a lot, as of now it sounds like a wiring/connector problem but with code I could tell you specifically what wires to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try to find it 2morrow. I think it was p204 but not for certain
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That does not sound like a familiar code. Assuming code is related to vehicle speed sensor then I'd run new wires between vehicle speed sensor and PCM. Yellow wire goes to pin 64 of connector 1 and purple wire goes to pin 61 of connector 2. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found that my cavalier is a 02 the title says 01. But I guess wit the date of 11/01 I looked up PCM for 01 found it was under the fender. But mine is mounted on fire wall. Was wondering if wires would be the same for that PCM were the speed sensor hooks in ?? Sorry for having it confused.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are the same, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was wondering how can tell which number on the connector I didn't see any numbers on the connector itself??
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a connector diagram, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/23cig0plypwdsv6/cavalier.pdf?dl=0
-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The connectors on mine are square one is blue approx 2in by 2 in the other one is black approx 2in by 3in and is connected to firewall
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you might be looking at the wrong thing, this is the only connector setup you would have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wer should the computer be located?? I've looked under wheel and took all apart can't seem to locate it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmrog11xhbky6j6/pcmrr.pdf?dl=0
-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've taken everything apart down there all the way down to metal nothing there. When I search 02 cavalier it shows it on the firewall just like I have on mine
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It is under the right front fender next to radiator support, behind bumper area.