Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have an '05 Impala. The key would not turn in the

Customer Question

I have an '05 Impala. The key would not turn in the ignition, so we got a used switch/key combination. Now, the key will turn but the car will not start. It can, however, be started with the starter switch under the hood. We've tried the 3 cycle/30 minute
relearn procedure but are still in the same place - key will turn, car will not start via the ignition. Let me know if there are any other details you need.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we still need help. We didn't do any more yesterday while waiting for a response here. Those hours might not work as well though, since the mechanic who's helping us is available from 9am-5pm eastern time.
Is the theft light on or flashing with the ley on or while trying to start, if so then we still need to address a concern with the pass key system? If not then we need to perform some electrical diag at the ignition switch. Do you have a meter and understand wire testing? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dad messed with it earlier today. Let me get him to give me any results he discovered and I'll post back in a little while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We retried the three 10 minute cycle process today, twice. During one of them, during the 1st 10 minute cycle, the theft light flashed the whole time. During the 2nd cycle, it flashed for the first part of the cycle and then went solid. The 3rd cycle, it was solid the whole time.We do have a test light and meter but won't be able to check anything until we get to the office in the morning.Anything else that would be helpful for you to know?
Use the file below.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/05impalaignition.pngCan you back probe the ignition switch connector and check each wire per key position to see if the correct wires power up when the key is in a certain position. The Red wires are the power wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can print that out as well as your instructions and try it out first thing in the morning. Depending on what results we get, anything else we can be working on during the day until you're back online?
This information will tell us if the ignition switch is fine. Would you like the starting circuit as well for now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure, go ahead and send that along with anything we should be looking for as we test the wires in the first diagram or anything we should do if we get good or bad results from those tests
Diagnosing where to go here or there without knowing the results of step one would lead to alot of educated guessing which is useless in resolving this.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/impalastart.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so I need you let you know if all of the wires listed in the first diagram show power when the switch is in the position shown, correct?
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, we've made no progress today... our man didn't come to work. I'll get back to you Thursday morning if he's able to test the wires then.
Super