Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet: But it ran to 30 minutes and I was driving

Customer Question

But it ran for 20 to 30 minutes and I was driving it around just staying in the parking area and you know I just died I was able to get it to restart and get it back to where I was working on it out but it actually like an ignition module or something else I think the fuel pressure is a little low but you know it's not stopping in all the fuel populism stopping
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Is it starting right now? Have you tested fuel pressure? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes 40 lbs

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Is it starting right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes but it acts like a maf sensor and has code 34

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
What year, model, make, and engine size of vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

91 buick regal 3.1 no mass air flow sensor dies when u put it in gear

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does it idle fine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sometimes good and other times not

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
This code is related to map sensor, have you checked vacuum connection, wire connections, and overall wire condition on map sensor? Or have you replaced sensor? thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the other tech was leading me to a tcc issue it was actually running alright but when u started driving it it would die so he had me disconnect the tcc switch and when i did that the car ran worse even after i plugged it back end but to day when i looked at car their was no engine code but now their is 34 i have never seen one stop a car from driving though

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'd verify map sensor has good 5v, good ground, and at least 13 kpa vacuum and if all are good I'd replace the map sensor. If fuel pressure is good and spark is good then I'd feel comfortable replacing the map sensor considering it is setting code. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will change it in the morning and get in touch with you

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will die constantly can't go faster than 3 miles an hour
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace the map? If so, did you test for 5v, ground and vacuum?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No how do u do that replaced map
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture, just disconnect electrical connector, disconnect vacuum line, and slide map sensor off mount. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has lots of vaccum and 5 v
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace the part?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ran fine just like befor once warmed up constantly dies same code 34
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It runs ok when cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes even the other day before I changed the part
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Another thing that comes to mind are injectors. When warm disconnect each injector one at a time to see if that allows it to run better, if so then replace that injector. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May be one but these u can't get to while running what should fuel pressure be
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pressure should maintain around 40 psi at idle and go up toward 47 psi under load.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 40 with key on 38 running 48 with vaccum off regulator it acts like a vapor locks but yet the fuel pressure never goes down below 38 and when I left it with the vacuum off of the fuel pressure regulator it never went below 48
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It sounds more like a injector problem, let me know if disconnecting injectors change anything. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can't disconnect the injectors on that without taking the intake manifold off the top it acts like an old carbureted car that's vapor locking that's exactly what it ask like it's not missing it just shuts off
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If you unplug connector 102 during problem you can check resistance of injectors on each bank during problem. If on bank has a lot higher resistance suspect bad injector. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where's 102
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

102 should be under the LS electrical center area, here is a picture. Let me know, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4y8mnf9vd5vxkht/102.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't see car for a few days so can't check it yet I will rate after we get done
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, let me know when you get a chance. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at the car right now I have a snap Onsolis scanner and I have needed the right OBD 1 Adapter up to a net took me a few days to buy one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find 102 connector found horns and cruise control electrical center on this car is on the opposite side this is a 3.1 L motor Started the car let it get up to operating temperature and park it ran perfect pick it up to 2500 RPMs were no problems after it reaches normal operating temperature and I put the car in the drive and then put it back in the park the car did not want to want to run right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My scan tool showed map in he 2.9 map v 0. Bari in hug 7.6 Bari v 0.86 no matter what I did with throttle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scan tool live data said cat was 680 to 780 but using my heat gun I only got temperatures around 250 and I'm sure my heat gun was working because I went to the cylinder head right below the cylinder head on the exhaust manifold I had 400 and and hired temps my heat gun I only got temperatures around 250 and I'm sure my heat gun was working