Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevy Suburban: I have a 2013 Chevy suburban loaded. The battery

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Chevy suburban loaded. The battery went dead for no reason. I charged it for 24 hours on slow charge but still had to boost it to get it to crank. I drive it 60 miles and had battery check and it had 0 volts. I replaced the battery with a new one. Now the volt meter on the suburban is irregular mostly staying below 14 volts. Sometimes steady at 14 and next time I drive it it's below 14 volts ?????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waithow low below 14 volts will the gauge read ?has the truck been starting up fine since the battery change ?how many miles are on the truck ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around 12 or 13 volts it has 60 thousand all highway miles it's been starting ok I been driving Chevy all my life and I never seen Chevy gage that wasn't steady at 14
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I agree with yousince it has been starting good for you and the battery has not been dead we know the alternator has to be charging somewhat or the new battery would be deadthe computer tells the alternator how much and when to charge v/s the loads and demand the computer seesif its getting down to @ 12 volts when the truck is being driven that is not normalsince the battery is new this issue will come down to programming in the computer or possibly the alternator itself or the computerusually with this kind of issue there is a tool we plug into the connector at the alternator that any shop has to look for all green lights when testing the signal from the computer to the alternator to see if it is controlling the charging correctly if it is all green lights then the computer programming should be updated in the computer and if it still does this with all green lights then the alternator itself is usually the issueif it shows red lights or fails the charging test then again the programming needs to be updated in the computer if it still does this then the issue is more than likely the computer itself90 % of these are corrected with cleaning both battery cables down with sand paper or a scotch pan and updating the programming in the computerthey make it very hard to test these new systems since the signals to the alternator are pulse width modulated and can not be read by a meter to test