GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Camaro LT: I have a 1979 Camaro and can't find any

Customer Question

I have a 1979 Camaro and can't find any information on repairing the neutral/park isolater switch on a floor shift automatic...... IS there a kit available to relocate the switch to the floorshift mechanism .... It is a TH350 ???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. So do you have a console shift now ? Or column shift ? And are you looking to bypass or just relocate ? Because the same switch also works the reverse lights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES it is a console shift .... as you would be aware , the isolator is operated via a lever on the steering column on the engine side of the firewall ....... I would like to relocate it to the shift mechanism in the console to make it easier to service ....... at present , because of the right hand drive conversion , it is very difficult to access......... IF there is no other way , I would like to bypass the switch to enable it to be driven until a solution is found !
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Check for a purple wire. The purple wire should be the ignition wire. So it you remove the purple wires and connect them straight then the car will crank anytime. No matter the position of the shifter. Let me know if you have that wire