Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1998 CARLO HAS GHOST THAT WILL DRAIN A BRAND NEW BATTERY

Customer Question

1998 MONTE CARLO HAS GHOST THAT WILL DRAIN A BRAND NEW BATTERY IF YI=OU LET THE CAR SET 3 OR 4 DAYS. CANT FIND SHORT
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waiti am assuming the alternator was tested good for volts and amps ?if so was a draw test performed yet with a multi meter ?is this something you are planning on fixing yourself ?or looking for a good idea before it goes into the shop ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have not checked for volts and amps also did no draw test with a multi meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the one mechanic I took it to I had no luck with.. he just pulled the radio fuse and waited two days to see if battery lost power. it did not
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the best action to take is to have the alternator tested for amps and volts and the battery itself for amps and for any bad cells as we have to be sure both the alternator and battery or in good working order to do an accurate draw test with a meteri know the battery is brand new but we have to be sure you did not get a defective battery and make sure it is charging correctly...any auto prats store will test both for free for youif both the alternator and battery test out good then we need or you need to have a draw test done with a meter connected in series with the negative battery cablebasically disconnecting the negative battery cable and set your meter to amps and one meter lead to the negative battery post on the battery and the other meter lead to the negative battery cablewith the key out of the ignition and all the doors closed and everything turned off after 15 minutes see what it readsif it is over 50 MA then you have too much of a draw on the system causing this problemand then one fuse is pulled at a time until the draw goes below 50 MAonce you find the fuse that causes the draw to drop below 50 MA what ever that fuse is for is the draw90 % of these 1998 Monte Carlo's the draw is from the radio or the BCM or the IPC ( gauge cluster )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will check this and see where we are at then.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
anytimeyou can always get me back through this post any time with any follow up with this question for free anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer !