Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: Having shifting problems 95 Chevy

Customer Question

Having shifting problems 95 Chevy tach speedometer shift indicator light quit , won't shift unless these things start working again as they do sometimes , it's not the speed sensor
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitdo you have a multi meter on hand ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tested the voltage going to the transmission it's ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wonder about the cluster or ignition switch
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
can you get this to act up and see what the volt reading is at the fuse called TRANS fuse # ***** in the inside fuse box testing it with the truck running and it acting up as your testing it99 % of these trucks doing what yours is doing is caused by low voltage at that fuse which will cause the transmission not to shift correctly and the dash shift and tach and speedometer to quicka VERY common issue which is corrected by replacing the ignition switch and the ignition switches when they act up will NOT send a full 12 volts to that fuse causing this issuei can not stress enough that you need to truck acting up with it running when testing that fuse for voltsthe odds are it will be under 12 volts and if it is replacing the ignition switch will correct this issue 99 % of the time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already did this but let me do it again maybe I was on the wrong fuse, it will be a couple hours before I get home but as soon as I do I will check this and send u a response .
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
sure thingit should be fuse # ***** called TRANS in the inside fuse box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll try it give me a bit
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got 13 volts there and it's acting up when I checkef
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
does the pink wire at the transmission big round connecton show 12 volts at it at the transmission acting up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
okalso if you can pull back the dash cluster when its acting up does the pink wire at the cluster show 12 volts ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was checking the wrong fuse number 20 had only 4 volts , I ran a jumper to it and it's working fine with the jumper, I don't know why the low voltage though
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the low voltage is from a bad ignition switchnot the lock cylinder but the electronic ignition switch that connects to the lock cylinder casereplacing the ignition switch in this truck will correct both problems you are having
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll try that ,
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
sounds goodyou can always get me back through this post with any follow up with this question for free even after you rate us here at Justanswer !