Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Chevrolet C3500 HD: Getting same "clean exhaust filter" warning.

Customer Question

Getting same "clean exhaust filter" warning. Truck is sluggish also. Is this something i can fix myself? I have limited knowledge on diesel engines
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. To help clean the exhaust the truck needs to perform a "regeneration. " that means it has to get hot enough to burn the diesel catalytic converter material , that is pretty much what he exhaust gas filter is , it's a differently designed catalytic converter , so to perform the self clean you must drive the vehicle at 30mph or more for about 20 minutes. So you may want to jump on the highway and give it a good*****or until the message clears. If it does not clear after 30 min of highway driving (no stop and go) then there is another issue with the ECM and will need checked by a shop to see what could be wrong or the converter may be too dirty to be done by just driving , and the scan tool can actually activate the self cleaning process. Hope this information helps. If you have any questions please ask. I am here to help. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.