Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I pulled out some after market wiring control, remote

Customer Question

I pulled out some after market wiring for cruise control, remote start and power doors/locks out of a 1998 Chevy C1500 w/t. There is a kill switch and now it starts but won't run. Not sure which wires to reconnect to bypass kill switch. Am I correct in thinking that I need to reconnect the starter solenoid wire? what color is it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
The starter solenoid wire is purple and it connects to the starter terminal marked with a (S).
Would you like the original wiring diagram for the starting circuit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excuse my ignorance but would the bypass switch be hooked into this wire?
It could be hooked into it to disable the starter but most kill switchs connect into the pink wire on the dist to cut of power to the ignition but it could go either way.
In the diagram you will see where the purple wire runs through the neutral switch if its an automatic and sometimes that can be at fault.
Go over the diagram and if you have any questions let me know.
You can still ask questions after you rate my service and there is no extra charge. Feel free to use the additional services for a live phone call with me if you like.
Larry
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/start%20circuit.PNG
.
I was just checking to see if you had any further questions.
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the problem is the passkey security system. Since it starts then stalls and the security light flashes. Somehow removing all the aftermarket stuff has reset it or may it bypassed it. The keys that I have are not the original one either.
You should just buy the complete bypass kit from the website below and be done with it. Other wise you are going to run into all sorts of trouble with the different components of that security system!
This kit is real easy to install and is by far the best way to go with this.
www.newrockies.com
Larry