GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I own a 1987 chevy pu...3/4 ton 350... an intermittent svc.

Customer Question

I own a 1987 chevy pu...3/4 ton 350... an intermittent svc. Eng lite....sometimes it wont start...something is telling throttle body not to work....pumps are running,and it'll start, and run when I pour gas down carb
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
can you get this to act this up enough to do a few tests ?do you have a test light on hand ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Meter on hand...just changed temp sending unit ..a previous test temp related fault..sending unit didn't help
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
get it to act up where it will not start and when cranking it over you see no fuel pulse out of the injectors when cranking it over visuallyconnect a TEST LIGHT with the test light clip end to 12 volts right at the battery then unplug the 4 wire connector at the distributor basewith the key ON do the injectors pulse in fuel every time you touch the purple/white wire terminal in the connector you unplugged ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fuel...again it seems heat related it ran ok this am...now that the day got hot, it won't start
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
with the test light connected to 12 volts and the key ON touching that terminal in that connector does NOT make the fuel pulse if you touch it with the test light tip then off it then back on the terminal ?if that is correct and your sure the test light is good and you did have the test light clip on 12 volts then with the key ON unplug both fuel injectors does one terminal in each injector connector show 12 volts ?