BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Carlo SS: I have a 2001 Chevy Carlo with

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 3800 engine. As of lately the service vehicle son light is on. After the car is started the service vehicle soon light comes on and stays on. I'm not experiencing no mechanical problem just the service vehicle soon light. All of the required maintenance is up to date. Any ideas of what is causing the service vehicle soon light to come on like this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. This light can come on for any number of reasons when the computer sees a fault. It can be something as simple as a loose gas cap. The best thing you can do is to have the computer scanned for codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. If you have this done bring me the codes and I can tell you with more certainty what is going on. Since the car is running fine it should not be too serious.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not the check engine light it's the service vehicle soon light that's coming on. There are no codes that are stored to cause the check engine light to come on. Only the service vehicle soon light is on
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
The service engine soon light is also a malfunction indicator light on this vehicle. When it comes on the computer is detecting a power train or emissions issue. What kind of scan tool was used to scan the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A scan tool was never used. The check engine light never came on, only the service vehicle light. The scan tool I used (actron CP 9580) found no codes.

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back with me. The service engine soon light on your car is not like a maintenance light that needs to be reset. It needs to be scanned to fine the issue. It may be something as simple as a loose gas cap. Your scan tool might not have the capability of reading any further than the powertrain codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this something that requires dealer attention or can I do some small checks to find the problem
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do understand that. The check engine light and service engine soon light are different, but they are both malfunction indicator lights controlled by the computer. The service engine soon light comes on due to issues that are typically emissions related. If you are just trying to clear the light. You can try clearing with your scan tool or unhooking the battery cables and then touching them together for about a minute and then reinstalling them. This light is not on for a maintenance reason, it is on for a problem.