Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD: Chevy Silverado 2500 HD I think

Customer Question

Chevy Silverado 2500 HD I think i need new motor mounts. I am not worried about the transmission mount or any other mount, but i need left and right mount. what tools do i need and is it hard to do? thanks so much for the help!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
You will need to remove the inner wheel wells on the driver and passenger side up front then support and lift the engine using an engine hoist or something similar then remove the 3 bolts from each mount to then remove and replace them.No major special tools are required except a way to lift the engine (which is advised to do from the top and not jacking it from the bottom).
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and if a hoist can't be used? where can i jack it up from the bottom?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I would jack on the engine oil pan unless a large flat block is used to distribute the weight.If you can try jacking on the block near the mounts to lift one side at a time carefully.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok and if i can get a hoist, where do i hook it to lift the engine to take out the mounts? thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You would remove the ground at the back of one of the cylinder heads and use a bolt and chain with thick washers to bolt the chain in place then the same up front on the opposite side cylinder head locate a bolt hole and run a bolt into it with thick washers and a chain then hook up the engine hoist to lift it.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok and where are these bolt holes?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The holes should be at the back of the cylinder heads.They will be large holes and you may need to remove ground wires and brackets to access them.They are bolt holes.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok well that probably won't happen now, so in your opinion, is it safe to jack up engine under pan with the board that you mentioned? or is it likely damage will occur?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well if by do i need help do you mean answering my question then yes i still need help. thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.
It isn't recommended to jack up the engine by the engine oil pan as this can damage the pan.I have seen it done before using a board or similar to distribute the weight across the pan instead of in one point of the pan but isn't recommended.The recommended way is to lift the engine from above.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete