Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet Silverado HD3500: 2008 Duramax Diesel cranks but

Customer Question

2008 Duramax Diesel cranks but won't start, won't connect to scanner
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Check and make sure all fuses are o.k. in all fuse panels and replace any that are blown and see if this corrects the issue.If this is found to be o.k. and with no communication on scan tool there is a chance either the engine computer needs replaced due to an internal electrical fault or an issue with the electronic ignition switch itself as I have seen this fail/act up before and cause issues.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Original "teaser" from JustAnswer offered "Hal" with 31 years of Chevy dealer experience, and unless I misunderstood, said "Hal" would answer the question in 15 minutes. Instead, reply took about 8 hours and was from someone with far less experience. Answer advised me to check fuses, even though I'd said I already had. Answer advised that I might need to have engine computer replaced. that's an awfully big hammer. No offense, but not thrilled with my first encounter with JustAnswer.com.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Once again I do apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.I posted as soon as I saw your question myself.
Has anything been done on the vehicle recently that may have caused this issue?
Is the scan tool powering up but not communicating with any computer in your vehicle?
Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

<Has anything been done on the vehicle recently that may have caused this issue?>

No, only the information I provided in the background section.

<Is the scan tool powering up but not communicating with any computer in your vehicle?>

Yes, that is correct. I tried two different scan tools, an Actron and an AutoTap. I've used the Actron successfully with this truck before. The Actron powers up but does not communicate. The AutoTap is a PC-based tool, so "powering up" is not an issue (it is self-powered). I then plugged both of these into my other truck (2000 Suburban) and both recognized it, so the problem does not appear to be with the tools.

Again, the problem is:

--Vehicle cranks but does not start.

--Scan tool does not recognize vehicle.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked to make sure all fuses are good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I believe I said, both in my original post and in my first response to questions, that the fuses had been checked. I checked all fuses in the big fusebox under the hood with a multimeter and verified continuity.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete