Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4x4: My 02 Silverado 4x4 is overheating

Customer Question

My 02 Silverado 4x4 is overheating after i changed radiator thermostat and water pump
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. That could have been the original problem with it.
.
However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)
.
The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.
.
Block tester available is:
Napa BK.(###) ###-####
OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE
Part Number:
27145
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search
.
*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***
..
.
If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.
If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.
.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only overheats sitting in traffic for too long the temp goes down when I start moving again it's only when I sit for too long
I see, thanks. How is the fan clutch? That is what keeps it cool at idle. That doesn't rule out the head gasket but it sounds like the fan clutch may be bad.
.
They did have a bulletin on the ones with the snow plows also, but it does happen with the ones W/O the plow hooked up.
.
Sort of hard to test, they don't have any actual procedure but most times if you watch it when it's warmed up you can see a bad one turning real slow. Another test is to shut it off and see if the fan still spins more than 2 revolutions before it stops.
.