Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet: I have 2001 2500 6.0 4w my front tank fuel

Customer Question

Hello
I have 2001 2500 6.0 4w my front tank fuel pump is screaming but suppling fuel with no issue so far. My rear transfer tank pump makes no sound. If that pump goes out should't the front pump have no fuel supply the engine. It appears from angle and dimensions of the hose to the main tank that it can over flow to main tank without the use of the pump. Yesterday with 10 gallons pumped in the hose that leads to the main tank was leaking from the clamp. Thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitthe front pump is what pumps the fuel out of the front pump to the engine the rear tank pump just pumps fuel from the rear tank to the front tank and will do so when the computer see the front fuel level drop down enough then will turn on the rear tank pump to transfer fuelthere should be no fuel leaking from that hose if you put fuel through it and it leaked fuel you need to fix that leakdoes the fuel gauge work correctly ?how long have you owned this truck ?how much fuel is in the rear tank ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The rear transfer tank is 10 gallons at best its small this is not dual tanks to be clear. If the rear pump goes out then the front tank will receive no fuel and can not operate is this correct?

I thought the cluster was done as all gauges lights even radio disappears after a few minutes of driving I replaced the cluster as I have many of these trucks this did not help or change anything still goes out with a working cluster. Im thinking the computer is more likely the culprit now. The leak was a loose hose clamp I tightned that.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
correct if the rear pump goes out the rear tank can not transfer any fuel to the front tankif you replace the dash cluster and it still goes dead on you then the odds are the ignition switch is bad OR the grounds on the outside of the drivers door frame are dirty or loose