Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Trailblazer SS: I have a 2006 trailblazer ss with

Customer Question

I have a 2006 trailblazer ss with an LS2 in it. it got so hot that it stopped running. that was about 40k miles ago. it ran ok but now I got a bearing knocking. it has 140k on it now, is that from the overheating or do these engines only run for about that amount. what should I do replace the whole engine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the bearings and internals of this engine were damaged or there life expectant greatly shorted when you have an over heat like you hadthese engine usually last 250K give or take now a daysif you love the truck and plan on keeping it for a few more years it would be cheaper to install a used / salvage yard engine V/S fixing the one in the truck now.most come with great warranty's
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The truck ran for a little over 40 miles with low or without any coolant, it was after a water pump went out.Forgot to test drive it. What if it were rebuilt?
Should all metal to metal contact parts be replaced, bearings, cam bearings, rings, crank, etc,due to the bearing material in the oil? what about the heads/ or is the engine shot and should just be replaced?
Why didn't it show up earlier.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We got one GM mechanic who said this Replace pistons, rings, all necessary gaskets, rod and main bearings, head bolts, rod bolts, main bolts, and crankshaft – crank is remanufactured. Cleaning of valves and surfaces prior to reassembly.
Parts - $2468.41
Labor - $5435.20
Tax - $179.57
Total - $8083.18Another engine shop say to rebuild the entire engine. R&R and rebuild 6k
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
like i said sometimes an overheat will shorten the life of the bearings in these engine when overheatedit will more than likely need a crank shaft replaced and at least one rod bearing for the rod that more than likely spun the bearingdid you price a used/salvage yard complete engine yet ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes 4 to 6k but then you really do not know what he history is right. heck this is my wifes grocery getter and to work truck, not even hammered on, she just liked the look and bought it.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
then go with the rebuildto be honest either way you go will be finei would go with the cheapest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only glitch is that it was the dealership that installed the water pump and didn't test drive it. I told them when it happened 40k miles ago that it probably hurt the motor. The said I should monitor for internal damage and then if there is some, they will make it right. So when we heard a knock, we shut it off, checked the oil, I saw some metallic look in it, so we had it towed in.
They are the expensive estimate, I actually thought they should make it right and just replace it. Bit they said it is not from overheating.and it should have happened miles ago, I agree with you and that it just put wear on the parts and the bearing failed prematurely pre-mature parts failure or something
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
its just a bad situation for everyone when this happens without being able to know what the inside of the engine looks like after an over heat without opening up the engineif they will not help at all or make it right i would go elsewhere to have the work done since they didn't stand behind what they said
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you,
As an engine expert, what would you have told them, and would you press the issue to make it right. Is there anywher online where GM engineers discuss overheating on engines and the damage it does, specifically an LS2thanks again
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
there is no written discussions on thisoverheating for many years on any engine can cause this issues it really does not matter what engine size year or type of vehicle its hard to get them to help when it made it 40K miles since the overheatand there is no way to 100 % confirm it was from that exact overheati would just shop for the cheapest engine fix for this truck and go with the cheapest price