BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have obd code p0014 on an 07 h3 hummer. eng makes metalic

Customer Question

i have obd code p0014 on an 07 h3 hummer. eng makes metalic like sounds (vale/ lifter rattle)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me how many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
113,000
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. One last question. What size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5CYL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have not received reponse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when do i receive a reponse. you ask questions/ i respond. i ask questions/ receive more questions. still waiting
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I was not online earlier. We are only online at certain times depending on our careers. I would like to help you further if you would like. Please let me know and I will post my diagnosis here and what may need to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, i would like to know/ what may need to be done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible to get an answer to my question within a reasonable time. it has been 3 days
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Sorry again for the time frame. It sounds like you have a valve timing issue. Most of the time on this engine it is due to an issue with the valve timing solenoid on the passenger side of the engine. If that is fine then you may have an orb out timing chain or a failing cam actuator. The solenoid is by far the most common. Are you planning on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have the vehicle at the chevy dealer. they advise to replace engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your recommendations
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
It depends on what the extent of the damage is in the engine. Did they happen to tell you what they found and why they are recommending the engine? If the timing chain is bad enough and if there is metal in the engine then I would understand why they recommend it. If not then the timing chain can be replaced to correct the issue.