Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT LS: I have a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS EXT with 156000 miles on it. For the last week or so I've felt like its lost power and not accelerating normally. A few times it started hard and seemed like it could stall. On my way to work Thursday the check engine light came on and it had an intermittent slight knock. The code pulled was P0014 for the camshaft position sensor which we replaced and cleared the code. It started easier after and it drove ok, still with slight feeling of power loss. Driving on the highway Saturday night, the engine light came back on and there was a tapping on acceleration. It got progressively work and started a constant knock. The code pulled after this were P0303 and the P0014 again. We swapped the #2 and #3 coil pack to test for spark and it did spark. The #3 plug is ok and there is no oil in the well. As terrible as the car sounds, it really doesnt feel bad when it was driven. I've started it a few times to see if other codes show but none have come up. I have not driven it since Saturday night.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
is this noise from the timing cover area on the front of the engine ?or the front of the valve cover ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would day the valve cover but I will have to verify in the morning.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
try to pin point this down to the timing cover or under the valve cover for the noisethese have had issues with timing chains causing noises and the code 14 and will cause misfires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks. I will check back.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
oksounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the valve cover but I can't be sure. It's hard to tell.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
at this point something has failed under the valve cover either the cam shaft or lifter or possibly a valve springthe best bet is to remove the valve cover and visually inspect the valve train focusing on # ***** cylinderif NOTHING is seen wrong and nothing broken or out of place and everything is tight and nothing is loose then the issue is more than likely the timing chain has excessive play in it which would usually always set the 14 codeat that point it would need a new timing chain kit installed to correct this problem you are having
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that something could be wrong with the exhaust VBT solenoid? Or would that cause multiple misfires?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
it would cause multiple misfires and would not cause a noise