Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Chevrolet C1500 4x4: I have 94 chevy 1500 and have no brake

Customer Question

I have 94 chevy 1500 and have no brake light no cargo lights and no radio . I've changed the fuse for the brake lights and the fuse blows when i press the brake.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. From your description you have three different circuit problems, unless someone has installed an aftermarket radio into the wrong circuits or there has been cutting and splicing into the trailer connector. The only connection between the radio and the lighting circuit if for the illumination of the radio itself. In order of importance the brake light circuit should be addressed first. The brake lamp fuse blowing when the brakes are applied is most always associated with the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) circuit.1. Disconnect the Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL) relay, check fuse to blow. The CHMSL relay is above the brake booster, on the firewall. If the fuse does not blow with the relay removed. Check the Yellow wire between the stop lamp switch and the CHMSL for a short to ground.2. Disconnect the turn signal switch, check fuse to blow.3. Disconnect the trailer harness, check fuse to blow.4. Disconnect the cruise control module, check fuse to blow.5. Disconnect C299A is a 4 pin connector, just up from the fuse block, check fuse to blow.If the fuses does not blow after a step reconnect the component before moving to the next. I can offer an additional services for this conversation to continue through email for an extra 10 dollars where I can send you detailed diagrams of each individual circuit and walk you through each one to find the problems. Let me know if you're interested. I hope this information is helpful to you.Should you have any questions please let me know.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.