GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Impala LS: I have a 2003 impala I have power to all

Customer Question

I have a 2003 impala I have power to all the fuses and the orange wire on the brake switch, but the brake lights hazard lights fan speed 5 and cig lighter do not work
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for some reason when push brake switch do not get a voltage out white have tried 3 switches and when push hazard in voltage drops to .3v on orange wire and at fuses
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Can you tell me if all of these electrical concerns started at the exact same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is my sons car he tells me after he replaced the heater control it all started. He did put back the old control and nothing changed the orange wire does have power at the brake switch however it measure in the 8 to 9 volt range. if I leave the orange wire on and run another wire from the positive battery directly to the orange side of brake switch everything works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
measured volts on white wire at hazard switch approx. .5 volts with ignition off and a little over 1 volt with ignition on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son said everything started the day after he took the hazard switch out and put it back in and everything worked until the next time he turned the car on. also tried a new hazard and it worked until the next time he turned the car on. could it be the body control control module does it have any imput to the voltage to the orange wire. If so can you test the body control module out of the car the local dealer said he needed the car is this just a money scam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he also said the abs and traction control lights started coming on at the same time he said sometimes if he left vent on 5 it would come on but eventually stopped he said when put new hazard in it all worked then just stopped then would randomly work till it all stopped. it sounds like a broken wire but where are these all interconnected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would there be wiring diagram that would show how these are all tied together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
update we used tester probe and with key off 3.5v everywhere at orange wire and with key on the register 0v with probe tester it is also beeping and registering as a good ground at the same orange wire but if we put 12v to it at brake switch or at hazard switch or at aux plug everything will work but the brake lights if put 12v to white wire at brake switch the brake lights will work but the white wire showed as good ground this is also a new brake switch
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. So basically you are not getting a steady 12 volts at the orange wire all of the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realize that I am asking what could be causing this and possible solutions could it be the bcm and if so how do I test it or is there a way to bypass everything. but why qhwm I power the orange does everything work except the brake lights