Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chevrolet C1500 4x2: Code 43 on my 89 Chevrolet p/u driving

Customer Question

Code 43 on my 89 Chevrolet p/u driving me loco when hot go to accelerate slight ping then it goes into limp mode I got p/u from pop's he had crate 5.7 installed when I got It several years later I noticed It pinged then code 43 been fighting with the p/u since HElP!!!
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have home computer Tec me or call pls.(###) ###-####tks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
The code 43 refers to a fault with the knock sensor circuit. Check if the knock sensor is working or not. If you have a timing light, hook it up while you tap on the engine block right next to the knock sensor with something metal and watch if the timing retards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New knock sensor,tips esc-module,[email protected] w / wire disconnect @ firewall then re-connected spacerplate tbi ,power chip, checked all wiring on my (scanner has tsb to upgrade didn't do out of date gm part )I also put new ign. Module and coil. Can feel tcc lock-up and release I'm thinking wrong stall on the torque converter?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Code 43 doesn't mean the knock sensor is bad, it means there is a fault in the knock sensor circuit. It could have been a bad knock sensor but it could also be a problem with the wiring.
What is the spacer plate on the tbi for?
How does it run without the power chip?
Did you test if the knock sensor is working or not?
Wrong stall? Was this problem with the pinging always there or just happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just re-checked timing w/o wire disconnect timing @ 14 degrees btdc should it b zero? Pops b old never accelerated like me yes it's been there since I got the p/u I re-built the tyranny for him in 97 when the engine was installed I ordered the torque converter by 4 digit code I'm thinking Hughes might of sent wrong stall? They were in bad shape in those years but they were our supplyers.I got the p /u in 2003 and have been fighting with the code ever since
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing I can't understand is it does it when hot on acceleration and we b hot in Phx @ 115
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you still have the sticker under the hood?You have had problems with this pinging and code 43 for 12 years now?How much have you driven it?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What octane of gas are you running?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Was anything added to the engine that would raise the compression ratio?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
What spark plugs are you running? Do you know the heat range?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I have a 1990 C2500 with a 5.7. If I have to, I'll go out and see what the timing spec is on it. I searched autozone and it just says "Special procedures are required for proper adjustmentsrefer to emissions label (Under hood) or servicemanual".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 years yes tried all grades no luck I got ac43ts plugs tried others these have been the best so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I the tbi spacer plate is for better air fuel delivery
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
You know. If you have done everything right and the timing is set but it still pings, the crankshaft damper might have slipped and the timing mark could be wrong. If you suspect that, I would try one of 2 things. First try timing it by ear. Or, remove the #1 spark plug and the distributor cap. Tap the engine over until the rotor is coming close to where #1 wire is on the cap. Pull the fuel pump relay so it don't accidentally start up. Then place a plastic coffee stirrer into the spark plug hole and feel the top of the piston as you turn the crank by hand until the piston reaches tdc and then pauses and begins to go back down. Now , go back to exactly 1/2 way in that pause. Stop. That is tsd compression for #1. now, check the timing mark. if it's off, the damper slipped. Change the damper or make your own mark for now and then try timing the engine and see if it still pings.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, 43 are the cold plugs.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Check the timing mark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks to be in good shape ,I will do that can't go wrong with the old school teaching I will let you know if it is off it's a million degrees in my garage I do it tomorrow I'm wore out thanks a million
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps if you think of something let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pss. my truck is well taken care of.I just have this issue it is not a p.o.s. I have I in excellent condition (very nice)
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Even the best maintained engines damper could slip. It's due to age or mileage not how well the engine is taken care of, plus there is no maintenance that would prevent that that I know of.
Let me know what you find about that timing mark.